We focussed on Eye Awareness month in October and Cure Paarl and Paarl Eye Centre identified 5 worthy patients for the Right to Sight project. These patients received free cataract surgery and was registered on the OSSA Right to Sight Trust which is a registered public benefit organisation dedicated to ending avoidable blindness in South Africa. We would like to thank Dr Berry and Dr Nieder-Heitmann from Paarl Eye Centre that performed the surgery and Paarl Anaesthetist Association for their assistance.
The following patients was part of the Right to Sight project: Mrs Galant, Venter and Feke and Mr Apollis
This national project is made possible through the combined efforts of:
- Ophthalmologists who donate their time and skills
- Private hospitals that give free theatre time
- Medical device companies that sponsor consumables
- Financial donors that give money to pay for consumables
- OSSA Right to Sight that manages, coordinates and raises funds for the project